Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ditto


Does this look familiar to anyone?

This creature is called a Ditto. It is a Pokemon. He's what the gum on your shoe would look like if it had a face.

Dittos pretty much do what it sounds like they do: they morph into the shape of any other Pokemon.
"You're a Mr. Mime? Ditto.
You're a Bulbasaur? Ditto.
You're a Pikachu? Me too."


Now you may be asking yourselves why on earth I'm writing about Dittos.
It's because I'm noticing how easy it is to be one.

This lesson has been screaming at me from every direction. I hear it echoing from the voices of people closest to me, and coming from people I don't even know.

Last week my Worldview class ended. The video on the last day gave a statistic, saying that 80% of college students believe there are no moral absolutes. It was sort of interesting to think about. It made me wonder how many of those students just accepted the idea without questioning it. It could be such an easy thing to do.

 I learned a lot from that class, but some of the things that stuck out the most in my mind were the stories they told of people who stood up in their college classrooms, all eyes on them, and defended an opinion that was way different from their professors and peers'. They were brave enough to speak the truth, even though it scared them to death.

I've always hated having attention drawn to me. I like to just hang out in the background and blend in with everyone else. Normally if I disagree with someone, I don't go further into the conversation. I just smile, nod, and say, "Oh." That's usually the end of it.


But what good does that do? The conversation either dies off or becomes really superficial because you're too nervous to dive into a deeper conversation with someone who might disagree with you. Who might think your opinions are "weird," "intolerant," or "backwards." Then they go their own way and you go yours, but along with your differences comes this one: You're always going to wonder what would happen if you'd have spoken up, and they won't even know.

 God doesn't want us to be Dittos; it's not how He created us to be. "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:58) 

I might touch on this subject in a different post, but one thing that's important to remember too is learning how to stand firm without being a "Bible Thumper." You don't want to be condemning or in peoples' faces. "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel." (Philippians 1:27)

So, yeah... that's my little "mini sermon," of sorts. :P lol If you have anything interesting to share, I'd love to hear about it in the comments!



5 comments:

  1. Very true and awesome delivery; the world needs more pokemon minisermons. :D

    One interesting thing is that Ditto was created during the early attempts to clone Mew; they wanted to have a pokemon that could learn all moves, but ended up with a blob that could copy anything. They ended up creating Mewtwo instead. 0_0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good topic, one that has actually been on my mind the past few days. Love to hear more on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm Hmmm, indupidly Madam!

    I struggle with not actually giving my opinion sometimes when I should, often I answer in a way that seems like I answered their question, but in reality I just gave them enough information to think they got an answer without actually giving my full opinion.
    Maybe that didn't make sense, but hey, I liked your post and think you make a great point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Totally! That's what I do, too. :P haha
      Thanks, Anna! Glad you liked it. :D

      Delete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!