Monday, September 17, 2012

The Gospel According to Dirt

So today I'm here to talk about dirt.



Please contain your excitement. ;)

Yesterday, in a sermon about trusting God, I somehow wound up thinking a lot about dirt (don't ask how, I have no idea...)

How we try so hard to get rid of it.



We sweep it out of our houses.



We wash it off our clothes, cars, dogs and kids.



It contains some of the lowest lifeforms and creepy crawlies that gross us out.



Dirt is probably one of the lowest substances on earth...

But that's what we're made of.

"...The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." ~Genesis 2:7



Maybe I never really looked into it that much. "Yup, the Bible says God made us from dirt."
But I never put a ton of thought into it.

How did God take something as simple as dust from the ground and create the most brilliantly complex work of engineering on earth?



How could He take something as low as dirt and breathe it into His image?


Not only is it beautifully poetic, but it just shows how amazing and powerful God is.

It's also humbling. We came from dirt. We can be reminded of it by our "dirty" human nature and inclinations to go against God. It's a stain we can't wash out on our own. Through Jesus we have the assurance that although our bodies will return to the dirt, our spirits will be safe with Him.

Oh, and another thing: Dirt is just dirt... unless a seed is planted in it.
Then this can happen:



One of the reasons God created dirt is to bring forth beauty. If Jesus is planted in us, we'll have some flowers of our own springing from our chest (not literally... that could get creepy). :P

So I have some flowers and a few weeds that need plucking... but God is an excellent gardener! :D
Maybe it's a bit cheesy, but... I just love metaphors! Don't you just love metaphors?! I love metaphors.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful dirt!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting thought. But it's so true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy a good metaphor, and yours fits perfectly in my enjoyed ones. :)
    Good work!
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, this post is awesome.

    I love metaphors; if metaphors were perfumes, I'd be that one weirdo who takes forever trying to find the right balance (all of everything), but only annoys everyone by how overpowering his scent is.
    jk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I seriously laughed out loud at this. XD
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. This is my new favorite blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! :D I'm glad you like it!

      Delete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!