Monday, April 23, 2012

Another Candle





When I turned ten, I was freaking mature. 

I had my very own lipgloss. In my very own purse. I got a really girly pair of pink skorts. How much more mature can you get? I was in double digits, and a full-fledged lady, for gosh sake. 

I turned eighteen today. 

There are really too many feelings still swirling around that statement, ranging from jumping for joy to cradling myself in a fetal position. I like the idea of having more freedom. Getting my license. Getting a job. Possibly going to college. But at the same time... I sort of feel like there's just too much change.

What the heck happened? I feel like time's giant thumb and forefinger lifted me from my legos and crayons and dropped me into adulthood with all its grown-up problems and challenges. Sometimes I stop thinking about the things that are bothering me and just go, "Since when did I get old enough to even have these kinds of problems?" That thought alone puzzles me.


I sat there as my dad and grandma lit all the candles on my birthday cake. There in front of me my years were tangible. Every year I've lived was sitting on top of that cake. It looked like a lot... considering how I remember squeezing all my birthday candles into a cupcake. It's now going to take a full cake to hold my years. All of it was kind of overwhelming. Really overwhelming, actually.

Besides the cheesy, overused "rollercoaster" of emotions I've been on lately, it was an awesome birthday. I got to hang out with some friends, we talked all day, and then I spent the evening with my family. :D (You all rock! Thank you all for the awesome presents and cake).


 I guess I'll never be as "mature" as I was when I was ten, but I am hoping to get some things accomplished this year though, and just keep learning things. Learnin's good.  

I guess I have picked up on a few things already...

  • Never drink orange juice after brushing your teeth. Just don't. 
  • Water is good for you; just not when you're drinking someone else's backwash (ALWAYS make sure it's your water you're drinking from. O_O) 
  • It's ok to disagree with people sometimes. It's better to be hated by people who disagree with you than be a suck-up. (Something I'll always be reminding myself of!) 
  • Pray for patience at your own risk. ;) 
  • Don't belch in public. (Maybe this one goes without saying...?) 
  • Don't tell people "everything's fine" when it isn't. (Again, something I'm still working on!)
  • If you see someone's Chinese leftovers on the counter, for the love of all that is holy, DON'T EAT THEM! 
  • On the other hand, don't just leave your Chinese leftovers on the counter. Keep them someplace sacred. 
  • Music doesn't have an expiration date. If you like a song, it doesn't matter if it's "old."
  • I like lists. It's not helpful advice to anyone, I guess, but I just do. Can you tell? 
There's still just so much to learn!
I'm hoping to try and read my Bible more consistently, and that God will teach me more this year (and that I'd really listen!)
I'm praying that the people I love will stay close to me no matter what happens.
I'm wishing that I don't need to grow up *too* much...





13 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
    I'll keep those listed things in mind. :)
    Here's a prayer hoping you are given the strength the accimplish all that's on your list!! (especially the no belching in public XP)
    Weebattazu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I'm glad yubattazu. ;D LOL

      Delete
  2. hi, Happy Birthday! i think that's funny how you were mature when you were ten, sounds kind of like me but i'm only 15. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! haha now I wanna know your Chinese food story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, There's not really too much to it (I mentioned it a little my previous post). I left my beautiful, amazing Chinese food leftovers on the counter, and my sisters ate it. D:

      Delete
  4. >Freaking Mature

    >Freaking
    >Mature
    Well, then. :P

    Anyway, this is a great post! Especially the bit about Chinese food and music. : ]
    Although I don't get the orangejuice thing; I tried it once and still don't get it. It seems to defeat the purpose of cleaning your teeth anyway.haha

    That aside, it's funny to think how there are still things we do that are just as immature, and that we'll remember those on later birthdays...
    I hope you have a great year along with all your growing, too. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe XD

      Really? You don't notice how awful the taste is when you drink orange juice after brushing your teeth?!?! hahaha (I should've also mentioned not to drink milk after eating a pickle... it's the same kind of terrible) XP

      Thanks! :D

      Delete
    2. Foster, I totally agree that we still do things that we will look back upon as being a bit immature. =P Oh well... =)

      Delete
  5. Here is some wisdom from when I turned 18. I learned that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. When I was 14-I knew EVERYTHING. Ask my parents and they will tell you that this is true. Now that I am 37, I realize that I don't know jack squat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, That's so true... I remember thinking I knew everything at 14, too. XP
      Thanks, Aunt Colleen! <3

      Delete
  6. Happy (belated)Birthday Kay! This post made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kyla! :D Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!