Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas must be something more...




Christmas is only 2 days away!!! I'm so excited!

Have you ever noticed that Christmas day is caught in a time warp? For me, Christmas is always the same: I wake up exhausted due to lack of sleep the night before to all my sisters excitedly waiting for my parents to get up, we take our annual picture on the staircase, tear into presents, have a HUGE dinner, visit with grandparents, read books by the fireplace... <3

It doesn't matter what else has changed in your life and how old you are... around Christmas time every reverts to 8 year olds. :) Everyone tosses and turns in their beds on Christmas Eve, parents and kids alike can't wait to get a tree, drink hot chocolate, go sledding (I know I'd be excited to go sledding... if we had snow where I live...) :P And at 17, I still try to feel up my presents to see if I can guess what it is.

It's that kind of joy and excitement that makes people wonder what Christmas really means. There are some people who like to go all out with big decorations, presents, Santa, etc. There are other people who have a better appreciation for Christmas, but pay more attention to what the movies tell us about the "True meaning of Christmas": "Christmas means something different to everybody." "Christmas is about giving." "Christmas is about loving the people around you and being with family." "Christmas is about what's in your heart...." Whereas some of these are *close*, they're missing a very important mark. They're missing the source.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this." ~Isaiah 9:6-7


It's because of Jesus that Christmas is so amazing. He was put on this earth to die for our sins, giving us the ultimate Christmas gift: A relationship with our creator. It's from this we can be giving and loving during Christmas. If we have Him in our heart, then the feeling of Christmas follows (it may sound a bit cheesy, but it's TRUE!) :)


But... yeah. :) In the next couple of days I'll be addressing cards, hanging out with family and pondering what's in that strange box under the tree... so I probably won't blog 'till after Christmas. ;) Until then, everyone have an amazing Christmas!






4 comments:

  1. I love that last picture! Made me smile really big. :D
    Great post! Excellent!
    ~Anna P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I know! I cracked up when I found it. XD
    Thanks! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Merry CHRISTmas! :) Lovely post :)
    ~Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kayla! Right back at 'ya. :D

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!