Thursday, December 29, 2011

Music is the shorthand of emotion.


(Title quote by Leo Tolstoy)



I love how music is like a camera-- it takes "snapshots" of your feelings. Time travel isn't possible (yet... that I know of... O_O), but when we listen to a song, it's probably the closest you can get to going back in time to different seasons, how you were feeling and what was happening when you listened to it before (probably one of the reasons why Taylor Swift is really popular... :)

In short, I love music. I love listening to it, I love playing it.

My taste in music has changed quite a bit throughout the years. I went from just listening to whatever my Mom listened to on the radio (at that time, 80's music, 80's music, and more 80's music...);To really girly, Disney-channel pop music; then I think it was R&B for a while; then Rock/Alternative. Now I pretty much like a little bit of everything. :) Here are ten of my favorites (in no particular order):

He is We

"Merrily we fall out of line
out of line
I'd fall anywhere with you
I'm by your side..."
~I Wouldn't Mind

They're sort of like if you put summer in a bomb and light it off in every one of their songs. Their songs are so much fun to listen to!

And not only are they fun to listen to, but their lyrics are pretty good. I'd say their most beautiful lyrics are a toss-up between the song quoted above, and their song "His Name."

But anyway, if you haven't heard them, you MUST. It's not a recommendation, it's an order. I know where you live.


Adele


"Right under my feet there's air made of bricks
Pulls me down, turns me weak for you
I find myself repeating like a broken tune
and I'm forever excusing your intentions..."
~Melt My Heart to Stone

I think practically everyone has heard of Adele. There are two different kinds of people: Those who want to strangle her until she no longer has the use of her vocal cords (*clears throat* You know who you are...), and those who think her music is freaking TIMELESS.

I'm of the latter. :)
Her voice definitely stands out among the many auto-tuned pop stars, and I'm glad she's as popular as she is.

Casting Crowns

"I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind
Still you here me when I'm calling
Lord, you catch me when I'm falling
And you've told me who I am
I am yours."
~Who Am I

These guys are hands-down my favorite Christian band. They're not your typical Christian band, either. Their lyrics are so real. Their songs deal with real problems we face as individuals and as a Church, and their lyrics are flawless. <3

Tenth Avenue North

"...this is not about what you've done
But what's been done for you
This is not about where you've been
But where your brokenness brings you to
This is not about what you feel
But what He felt to forgive you
And what He felt to make you loved..."
~You Are More

My *second* favorite Christian band. :) These guys are here to remind us how forgiving God really is. Sometimes when we make mistakes, we forget that God isn't like us, and we start to worry that He's going to give up on us because we keep making the same mistakes. Tenth Avenue North's songs sing out God's true love for us. :)

Coldplay

"Look at the stars, look how they shine for you
And all the things you do
Yeah, they were all yellow..."
~Yellow

These guys are legit. (Normally I hate it when people use that word, but Coldplay is deserving of the title). People get so funny about Coldplay because they change up their style sometimes; I think their style over the years has covered a lot of different sounds, each of them uniquely awesome with Chris Martin's distinctive voice. Sometimes their lyrics are literal, other times metaphoric, but they're all wonderfully written. (Also... don't you LOVE this picture? It's so cool!)

Taylor Swift

"This night is flawless, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, dancing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you..."
~Enchanted

I was on Facebook's "Pieces of flair" page and ran across one that said, "In love? There's a Taylor Swift song for that." And it's true. Whether you dream of one day falling in love, or if you're actually *in* love, Taylor Swift has a song for just about everyone. She writes about the good, the bad, and the ugly of love, and I just love her! (Yup, I was going for how many times I can say the word "love" in one paragraph...) :P

Paramore

"This is how we dance when
When they try to take us down
This is what will be, oh glory..."
~Let the Flames Begin

On my iPod, Paramore is responsible for the songs I rock out to. :) Haley Williams has such a beautiful voice and an amazing (seemingly inhuman!) vocal range. Their music is full of energy and it just makes you want to jump on your bed, bang your head, dance like a dork, or all of the above. :P


Parachute

"She, she is the words that I can't find
How can the only thing that's killing me
Make me feel so alive?
And I couldn't speak
I couldn't breathe to save my life
All of my chances swim like sinking ships
This time, it's it
I'll drown or make her mine"
~She

Parachute is a recent discovery of mine, and once I heard most of their songs I had to buy their album. :D As you can see from the lyrics posted from the song "She" (one of my favs by them), their songs are so sweet. These guys know how to write music.

Owl City

"Tell me again was it love at first sight
When I walked by and you caught my eye
Didn't you know love could shine this bright?
Well, smile because you're the deer in the headlights."
~Deer in the Headlights

I normally hate this genre of music. I'm not a fan of anything that sounds electronic-- but Adam Young here is my only exception. :D I just love this guy! Sometimes his songs are kind of random. O_o But most of his lyrics are fun, witty and occasionally just make you want to go "Awww..."
They're pretty catchy too, especially "Umbrella Beach," "Deer in the Headlights," "Hot Air Balloon," and "Galaxies."

He's also a Christian, and writes some pretty awesome Christian songs, as well. Check out "Galaxies," "Tidal Wave," and "Meteor Shower."

Ingrid Michaelson

"If you are falling, then I will catch you
You need a light, I'll find a match
'Cause I love the way you say good morning
And you take me the way I am."
~The Way I am

Last and certainly not least is Ingrid Michaelson. I've loved her song "The Way I am" since I heard it like, 2 years ago, but I've recently looked up more of her songs and just love them! Her voice is unique, old-fashioned and sometimes haunting; Her lyrics are cute, fun and clever. She's just awesome!





So now you know. Those are my all-time favorite bands/artists. :)
You mess with them, you mess with me. hahahaha
But seriously. :P

Honorable mentions:
Nevershoutnever, A Rocket to the Moon, Mayday Parade, Third Day, The Script, Sara Bareilles, OneRepublic, Kina Grannis, Hey Monday, Hellogoodbye, Colbie Caillat, and random songs on the radio

6 comments:

  1. Ok, this may be my favorite post so far, and rather inspiring. I may need to widen my taste in music. Great post!
    ~Anna P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anna! I'm glad someone enjoyed reading it about as much as I enjoyed writing it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Kay! That Taylor Swift song is one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kayla!
    I KNOW!!! It's my favorite song from her, too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh ooh! do some lyrics from dubstep!
    they go like:
    Woob-Wooob-Boom-boom
    Rawrwrr-scrrrrwwwrr-chssssttt
    bowwww-werrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL They're so... meaningful. :')

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!