Thursday, December 22, 2011

You so cute!


Awww, why hewwo dere, wittle bwog viewers! Aren't you da cutest ting I ever seen?! Wook at you! You so cute! Yes you are! Oooh, *gasp* is dat a smile?! Did I make you smile? Wook at dat smile, it's so cute! Ooh, I'ma try it again. BOO! Nothing? BOO! How bout now? I'ma gonna gitchu... you better run, shnookums! I just love you, yes I do!

At this point you may be thinking one of three things:
  1. Where is she going with this?
  2. Somebody escaped from the madhouse...
  3. Why is she talking to me in babyspeak?
If you were thinking 3, you were on the right track! (Ok, 2 might be pretty close, too...)
It's hit me a few different times when yammering on to Kianna in the same weird babble as the above that people sound absolutely insane when talking to babies. We've all gotten used to it, because everyone talks to babies the same way; but next time you catch yourself or somebody else talking to a baby, try paying attention to how funny they look. It's hilarious!

What's even more hilarious is how it must look to babies. Here they are, new to the world and unsure of how it works, and there are these weird, freakish giants who like to hover over their faces and speak jibberish. Everywhere they go, complete strangers come up to them with their faces pulled back into the toothiest grin they could muster, poke their bellies, pinch their cheeks, tickle their feet...

Imagine if we never outgrew that. O_o What if in one generation all parents and adults spoke to babies/toddlers in babyspeak and never stopped? Then those babies and toddlers grew up babbling in baby gibberish. Then once they were grown and had their own kids, they naturally spoke to them in the same gibberish they grew up on. Then, we'd have adults who talk like this:

At work: "You a good wittle worker, yes you are! You so pwoductive, I'ma give you a raise!"

In relationships: "Aww, you so pwetty! I wuv you, darlin! You wanna marry me? You do?! Yaaaay!"

When they pull you over: "Hewwo, wittle guy... I saw your wittle car go VROOOM! Looks like you need a speeding ticket! Here woo go!"

People are saying that "Text speak" is slowly killing the English language. Although I really can't stand people shortening words/not using correct grammar and punctuation, I'm thinking it could always be worse. We could always talk to each other the way we talk to babies. O_O


4 comments:

  1. Haha, I gotta say I try not to talk to babies like that they learn better English, but your right. lol Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah... I've sometimes wondered if it contributed to speech impediments (at least some of them. lol) :P But alas, old habits die hard. hahaha

    Thanks! Glad you like it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I love this! LOL! Ahem... I'm laughing out loud! ;) It's interesting how fast language usage can change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Ikr?
    Haha, so happy it made you laugh. ^_^ Thanks for looking at it!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!