Thursday, February 7, 2013

Just write something!

Currently on blogger, in my accumulating list of abandoned drafts, I have a list that looks like this (beware of spoilers!):


Hopefully you guys know me a lot by now, and know that I'm not just a carefree, modest, romantic bookworm who likes to compare armpits to head lice while playing the keyboard with my feet.

This is one of my classic symptoms of writer's block.
And maybe ADD.
By the science of deduction you can follow my reasoning perfectly. Here at the beginning, I thought "Hey! I haven't written in my blog in FOREVER. This will not do." So I did the first logical thing I could think of: I started a list. 
Now what can I put on this list? I pondered.
The first mediocre idea blasted quickly into my brain after looking at my bookshelf.
Books! This is good stuff. Now what...? 
Well... there's my piano keyboard.
It went downhill from there. I got distracted and started writing the first random things that came to my brain. It was amusing, but then I remembered I needed to get serious. I need real ideas. And that's where the last four ideas come into play. Simple.

Why am I telling you about my thought process?
Because let's just say that it isn't just the list I've been doing this with.
Let's just say that I have a list of half-finished drafts because I lose momentum and come to a slow, sputtering halt. It's awful. I either second guess my ideas, or get too lazy to think them through, so they never get written.

But today I met a couple friends of my grandparents. They're a nice couple who are really into all different kinds of art, one of them being writing. "Writing is a lost art," the husband kept telling me.
I believe him, since stuff like this is getting published...

They were really encouraging when I told them that I wanted to be a writer. When complaining to the wife about my current writer's block, she gave me some advice: Just write something! Even if it's something small, like about the weather, or something interesting you've seen. Because writing, just like every other thing that you love, requires work. It isn't always just a muse.

Sometimes I feel like if my posts aren't funny, then they aren't interesting. I could even be almost done with a post, read over it, and go "um... this isn't funny. I need to do something about this!" And maybe I'm trying too hard... :P

I just need to write stuff. Lots of stuff. All kinds of things about armpits and head lice and jelly beans and pot stickers and fuzzy socks and mouth guards. Maybe my posts can't always have a high success rate, but at least I'll be writing something. ;)

4 comments:

  1. So is the "50 Shades of Grey" supposed to mean that it's a lost art or it's something like that which you can just write....?
    Other than that....great post! You are funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh no! lol I meant it to be an example of writing being a lost art. People can write awfully about smut and still have it be a best seller. :P

      Delete
  2. Ok, Lol, I figured that's what you meant, but just checking. :p :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you like jellyfish?

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!