Friday, January 6, 2012

Fashion!

(Photos not mine)


One of the ways I'm a total girly-girl is my love for clothes.

I find it funny that when I was little, getting clothes was so boring. Toys were so much more exciting. I think once we get older, clothes, in a way, become some of the new "toys" we can play with. We can change up our style and have a lot of fun with the things we wear.

My style has changed a lot over the years... I went through my infamous "dork" period. That was my lowest point. Like, low as in stirrup pants and oversized cartoon shirts low. Pair that lovely ensemble with my frizzy hair, braces and acne and you had my typical look at the age of thirteen (hubba hubba).

Then I became aware of my wrongs and went in the opposite direction, trying to dress as trendy as possible to "fit in" with everyone else. My self-esteem was pretty low then, and I figured that people would accept me more if I dressed cooler. :P Sadly with some people this could've worked, but I probably wouldn't have made the right friends that way...
Now I'm a lot more comfortable with how people see me, and I don't really care as much if my clothes have the name of the store stamped on it. (Although I really like American Eagle... haha :)

Although on typical days I have my regular uniform of t-shirts, jeans and hoodies, here are some of the styles I'm really getting into.

Shoes



Ballet Flats: I think all girls should have a pair of these babies. :) They're so versatile! You could wear them with jeans and a t-shirt, or you could wear them with your church clothes. :) They're pretty comfortable, too.











Heels: I've just discovered heels. I don't really wear them too often because they kind of hurt my feet and I'm still walking in them like a newborn horse... but they're definitely fun to wear
when you want to feel all "classy" and stuff.








Boooooooootttttttssssss!!!! Who doesn't love boots? I love boots. Army guys love boots. Celebrities love boots. Puss In Boots loves boots...
I don't have a pair of these boots, but I love how flexible they can be. They mostly look good with jeans, but I've seen people pair them with dresses for a more cool, casual look.




Also, I'm proud to announce that boots and heels got married and have given birth to a baby girl. Her name is Fioni. Isn't she beautiful?
Fionis are so cool. I think if you put them up to your ear, you can hear the sound of their awesomeness.
They're so unique and vintage, I love it. I've seen so many fun outfits put together with these.





And you can't forget Converse, which go with pretty much anything, as far as I'm concerned. :)










Accessories

So I'm not really huge on accessories. I rarely ever wear them. Buuuut, I think they're fun, so I'll still do a quick little section about them.

Peacock Feather Accessories: These are sweeeeet. I totally want some of these.











Scarves are probably one of my most-worn accessories. They're one of those accessories that are actually stylish and practical: they're pretty, and they keep your neck warm. (Come to think of it... what could possess anyone to poke holes in their earlobes and hang things from them in the first place...?)







I love any kind of Flower Embellishment! They're just another one of those things that
make you happy to be a girl. They're pretty, timeless and feminine, and they're welcome on my shirts, my shoes, and in my hair. :)











And you gotta love Tights. I've always done the "boring" (or "classic," depending on how you look at it) black tights, but maybe someday if I'm feeling adventurous I'll pick up some of these...





Outfits

So in case you didn't notice from some of the things I've shown you thus far, I love just about anything Vintage.

This being one of the examples.
It's just so fun! I love how clothes from the 40's-70's are coming back with a modern twist. You can see this the most if you try shopping at American Eagle, Forever 21, and H&M.














I think every girl plays "favorites" with one article of clothing. Karissa loves shoes. I love Dresses. That may come as a shock to some people, since I'm always wearing jeans. :P Buut, if I had the choice, I think I'd definitely wear more dresses if I could solve the dilemma of dress length. Does anyone find it annoying that most dresses now are either so short they could serve as shirts, or so long you wind up tripping over them? They're either minis or maxis... I want an in-between...y. :P *annoyed sigh* Moving on.











Ask my sisters, and they will tell you how annoyed they are with how much I love lace. Some
people think lace is ugly. Some people think it makes you look like a doily.

I am not one of those people.

I know the key words here for today are "pretty," and "feminine," but what other words can you use to describe lace?










I also kinda have a thing for Skinny Jeans. But, hold on a sec... you have to be a little careful with them. Because there are skinny jeans, then there are SKINNY JEANS. I've seen people who look like they had their skinny jeans painted onto their bodies. So... just keep that in mind. ;) Skinny jeans are fun to pair with a lot of different things, from t-shirts to blouses.











You no longer need a boyfriend to give you his Varsity Jacket... Now you can just go out and just buy one of these little pretties. (Pay no attention to the girl on the left... I'm talking about the coat on the right but couldn't find a better picture. lol) They're cool, and they look pretty warm, too. It's definitely on my list of things to get before it gets too warm out.





And last but not least, the Peacoat Jacket. I've seen a rise in these recently, and I think they're pretty freakin' awesome. Especially this one. (Isn't it so... green?!?!)
















So we come to an end on our little journey through the wonderful world of fashion.

A couple morals here:

  1. Don't make the same mistake I did! Don't wear things just to feel "accepted" by other people.
  2. From a Christian viewpoint, we want to try and honor God in everything we do. What we wear is no exception. Try to be respectful to God and others in the way you dress. Keep in mind, though, that doesn't mean we have to wear turtlenecks for the rest of our lives! There are plenty of cute things that are still modest and cover all the things that, well... don't need to be seen by the public. ;)



11 comments:

  1. But Kaylee.....turtle necks are SOOO in!!! (jk, totally kidding) :p :)

    I love the part where you asked what possessed people to poke holes in their ears, that was so funny. :)

    Great post, I loved it!
    ~Anna P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Ugh, turtlenecks. Itchy, annoying, restrictive turtlenecks. :P (No offense to those who actually like turtlenecks. hahaha)

    hahaha It's a valid question! I wish I was there when someone thought, "Hey! I should poke holes in my ears!" XD

    Thanks for reading, and I'm glad you liked it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. Except I don't agree that converse are fashionable...they are a fad that has lasted way too long.lol
    But over I love the article. ^_^ (But then again, fashion is one of my passions)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. SKINNY JEANS are called Jeggings. :P
    ~Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to take a random stab in the dark and guess that this is Gillian, correct? ;) lol

    Yeah, yeah, I figured if you read this you'd disagree with me on that one. :P One day you'll wake up and realize, though: Converse are awesome. XD

    Glad you enjoyed it, though. XD Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeggings are a type of jean that look like skinny jeans that are wayyy tight but stretchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeahhh... I think those are supposed to be worn under dresses/skirts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. some people just wear them as pants o.O

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I like getting a peek into your clothing tastes. :) This post is so nice and balanced, it's obvious that you enjoy clothing but don't obsess over it. And then the "morals of the story" were AWESOME. :) Yes I have made that mistake before when I was in middle and high school. It's tempting to focus too much on the outside and then I have to remind myself, "It's the heart that matters."
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!