Monday, January 9, 2012

Memory Monday: Slow-mo




This is one of those memories I look back on and laugh, for so many different reasons:

1. I was so naive
2. I must've looked so ridiculous...
3. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!

Everyone has their innocent schoolgirl crush days, where they "stalk" a boy for a couple years that barely knows you exist. You really don't have the most concrete reasons to like this kid (heck, you barely know him!), but you know you're going to marry him. *dreamysigh*

This story is centered around a kid I knew back then, who used to fit that very description.

But when I was at the young (and very impressionable) age of 8, I watched a lot of TV. I also had a very vivid imagination; and I knew just how to get his attention...

It came to me at one our parties. We were living out in Banks, and had a pretty good-sized backyard that was perfect for running around in.

juuuuust perfect.

So I seized my opportunity. My friend McKenzie was my stylist, my friend Kelsey did my hair, and I stood in absolute elegance wearing a flowery summer dress with a ponytail. Oh, and a headband. Don't forget the headband!

You know those movies when a guy is just standing there, minding his own business, when right before him runs a beautiful woman with shiny, perfect hair and a beautiful dress? His world slows down as she runs by. It's at that fateful moment their eyes meet, and he feels unworthy of her graceful presence as she actually smiles and waves at him, of all people. That smile and wave becomes his beacon of hope, and stirs up his courage enough to find her, ask for her name, and MARRY her!

That was my aim. I knew exactly what I was doing. I spotted my target near the house and started at the side of the yard, McKenzie and Kelsey cheering me on. I was like a gazelle, my twiggy legs bounding in a half-circle around the yard. The springtime air caught my dress and waved it like a banner, a lovely banner declaring my undying affections. It was at the halfway mark I looked over at him. It had worked! Our eyes met, and I sprinkled on the finishing touches with my loveliest smile and most graceful wave I could crank out. He was as good as mine!

...Or so I thought...

Because what he probably saw was a lanky girl wearing some dress she wasn't wearing a few minutes ago, running, IN SLOW MOTION, around the yard and giving him some sort of creepy smile/wave combo.

Yup... you read that right: I actually ran. In. Slow. Motion.



Of course. That's how they do it in the movies, so that's how you do it in real life, right? The effect isn't going to happen as well unless I give it a *little* coaxing, right? Wrong? Well... Ok, then.

I almost wish it somehow got videotaped so I can see how ridiculous I looked. But then again... it's probably a good thing it didn't. ;)









6 comments:

  1. O_O Wow, that is too funny. I too wish you had that video taped, but at least you have witnesses. :p :) lol
    ~Anna P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, people *still* harass me over it sometimes. :P
    I think if I had a video, it would've broken by now from all the replays. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenzie Kaufman10 January, 2012

    OH MY GOODNESS KAYLEE!! I got to like, the second sentence and new exactly what this was going to be about!! Hahaha! Seriously, every time I start to feel shy around a cute guy, I think of you... in that lovely dress, and I can't help but giggle! Such a fun memory! :D

    PS: I'm sure this "mystery boy" thought that you were just as beautiful and enchanted as we were hoping he would! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH! I wondered if you'd remember! :D You guys were so cute helping me "beautify" myself. :) LOL

    hehe, thanks. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh this is awesome, I literally lol'ed. You are SUCH a talented writer! The creative phrases you come up with never cease to amaze me and sometimes make me laugh. God has given you a gift! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!