Thursday, January 19, 2012

"When I Was Your Age..."


...When I was a kid, we had arcades and ataris...
...When I was in high school, there was a point where it was cool for girls to wear their dads' old sweaters...
...When I was your age, we had Madonna instead of Lady Gaga...

No offense to anyone who grew up in the 80's... but sometimes I ponder how it could ever have been in style to wear spandex, tease your hair until it was taller than you, or wear acid wash jeans. I've had to listen to 80's music, in all it's synthesizer-laden glory. I've seen movies from the 80's that have made me laugh at the sheer ridiculousness of it all. ("Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"?).

But then I think of my generation, and how my kids are going to see it one day.
Then I cringe a little. o_o

Because they're probably going to see things like this:








































I can envision it now: Driving my kids around in some minivan (or hovercar?), dancing along to something like "Tik Tok," with a kid rolling their eyes in the passenger seat.

They're probably going to laugh at my generation just as much as I laugh at my mom's. :P They're going to find all the fads and trends of the early 2000's just as weird as the trends of the 80's.

And aside from telling my kids about all the "lame" technology we have now, I'm probably going to wind up telling them about all the dumb trends that rose in my generation. I'm going to say the same things my mom says when she talks about her childhood.

"When I was a kid...

Practically everyone (even boys) straightened their hair.
Everyone was crazy about Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
"Reality" TV was on practically every channel.
We thought the world would end in 2012. :P
Vampires and Werewolves were a big deal.
Not a Friday went by without somebody making a Rebecca Black reference.
We wore shirts with the store name written on them.
We had trends like Silly Bandz, Shutter Shades, Ugg Boots and baggy pants.
Everyday we were shufflin'.
Girls became obsessed with Twilight and Justin Bieber.
Guys became obsessed with Skyrim and Call Of Duty.
Pretty much every movie that ever came out, came back in 3D.
We did the "Dougie" and the "Cat Daddy."
Girls did the "Duck Face," and the peace sign in every picture they took (normally with their phone and in front of a mirror)...

...And we were COOL."
Ok, hardly. :P
Where is humanity going, anyway?

2 comments:

  1. Don't ever forget the brony community, or the fact every movie is a remake of something. :P
    Also http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Explanation_d80788_3173893.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I wouldn't mind if I totally forgot about "bronies." O_o Sooooo weird.
      It's going to be really weird when they start doing remakes of our generation's movies (or do more remakes of remakes. lol)

      Omgosh... that makes so much sense. XD lol

      Delete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!