Thursday, January 12, 2012

What I Hate About Chick Flicks!



Behold, I give thee two scenarios.

1.
It doesn't matter that they've only known each other for 3 days-- they were made for each other! Her life was nothing but a barren wasteland of dismal, gray despair before he stepped in and swept her off her size 5 heels. She doesn't need anyone else, because she found her second half, the guy who she's been searching for forever, who's charming, good-looking and the ultimate romantic, and they're going to live happily ever after.

2.
She sees him ride up on his motorcycle, his perfectly-styled hair being tousled by the wind (who needs helmets?). His presence makes women dissolve into a puddle of sighs and daydreams. Today he's sporting a black eye and a bloodied lip from the last fight he got into. "He's so emotional," she thinks dreamily, his shiner a monument to his sensitivity. They make eye contact, and her heart skips a beat. She thinks of what he's told her in the past, "You don't want to get involved with me; I'm dangerous," and it only makes her want him more.

Did these scenarios describe movies you've seen? Did they describe several movies out there?
...That's what I thought. :P

I've seen quite a few chick flicks in my time, and a lot of things about both these scenarios have always bugged me. I'll explain in more detail.

Prince Charming:




I'm not gonna lie, every girl wants this. We basically want a guy who never puts his foot in his mouth and produces no bodily functions whatsoever. We want a guy who doesn't exist. And that's probably why you can only find them in the movies. We want someone with no flaws. It's good to make the hero in the movie act human. He needs a weak spot. Not one that makes us hate him, but one that makes him more relatable.

I'm not going to say that it's impossible to find your soulmate after knowing them for a few days/weeks (My great-grandparents were married 2 weeks after they met and had one of the best marriages I've heard of!). Also, I'm not going to say it's impossible to experience "love at first sight." (It might be rare, but I believe it's happened before...) But a lot of times in these kinds of movies, there's more lust between the two characters than love; They fall in love quickly, and for the wrong reasons.

And also, sometimes it's just so darn cliche. I mean... I'm a hopeless romantic myself. I'd be over the moon if my future guy decided to give me a dozen roses, take me on a moonlit walk on the beach, or even sing to me. :) But... I almost think it's more romantic for a guy to take the time to come up with something both romantic and creative: Something special and memorable, that would mean something to the two of you. Not only do girls like this in "real life," but I think it definitely makes movies more likable, as well.


The Rebel:


Is it just me, or are more movies playing into the "Bad Boy" stereotype lately? The poor, misunderstood, "sensitive," manipulative boy who the girl has to walk on eggshells for? You know what I'm talking about. It's especially popping up in those "forbidden teen love" movies. :P

My question is... why? Why is this so appealing? The guy is a jerk. He's not "sensitive," and if you break up with him you're not "giving up on him." :P

I think a lot of movies follow the same plot line:
Boy meets girl. Boy's a jerk. Girl doesn't give up on him. Boy is misunderstood and has a dark secret from the past that girl figures out. Girl loves him through it, boy changes, they live happily ever after.

Sadly, I think it could give a lot of girls the wrong idea: They can date any "bad boy" and have the ability to change him and live happily ever after like they do in the movies. The truth is, though, that most of the time it isn't the case. Girls wind up in a lot of bad relationships due to this supposition. Bad boys are usually "bad boys" for a reason, and they can easily take advantage of that cute, naive girl whose only desire is to help "fix" him.

Now, I believe there are *some* exceptions to the rule. In "Ten Things I Hate About You," Heath Ledger's character is deemed as somewhat of a "bad boy," but he really isn't. He's a little rough around the edges, but it was rumors that scared everyone away from him. (It was a sweet movie, but I wouldn't actually recommend it because of some of the content. lol) I don't really know any other examples of this... but there could be a few occasions where this scenario actually isn't as annoying. :P


There's also one overarching problem that both examples share equally, and probably the biggest flaw out of both of them.

He might be like Prince Charming: romantic, handsome, chivalrous, witty, and handsome (did I say that one already?) ;)

Or, he might be dangerous, moody, rebellious, and exciting...

But...

Will you still love him if one day you wake up to him looking like this?



Will you be just as excited to be one day racing with him on a Hoveround instead of a motorcycle?



The thing that bothers me the most about both movie scenarios is that they're simply too... Hollywood! They're too superficial. Normally in these kinds of movies there's no real connection between the two characters, no chemistry. They simply love each other before they really know each other.

That's why I think friendship is one of the most important parts of a romantic relationship, not to mention any relationship. How can you have your "happily ever after" with someone you can't laugh with? Who you don't feel comfortable being yourself around? Who you can't imagine sharing good and bad with until you have wrinkles, age spots and beer bellies? Movies that portray that kind of "True Love" are movies that make girls go "awwww" the most (for me, anyway), because we get to witness the characters find a love that will last beyond the physical aspects of love and attraction. <3

Ok, I'm done now. There you have the drippy sentiments and wistful sighings of a hopeless romantic. Now you may either wipe your eyes or throw up, depending on which gender you belong to... :P

9 comments:

  1. Bravo! Bravo!! May I just shake your hand?
    *shakes invisible hand *
    I whole heartedly agree.
    Magnificent post Madam!
    ~Anna P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *handshake* Glad you see it my way. :P lol
      Thank you! ^_^

      Delete
  2. i think you summed it up :)
    most Hollywood movies re the same . . .
    i think this my new favortie post of the year :)
    thank you!

    God Bless

    KayleeBeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? Thanks, I'm flattered. XD lol

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean, but you'd almost expect people to realize there is literally nothing realistic in any of those movies anyway.hahaha
    It's a fascinating topic, though, because it really does affect relationships in real life, and a fair amount of attraction towards the "bad boy" stereotype also includes the fact they tend to come across as more confident than the average "nice guy".

    And Proverbs 31:30 goes well with your last point:"Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well a little bit of "fake-ness" is Ok (it *is* a movie, anyway... what good is it to make it *exactly* like real life? lol) but it's when they make the characters soooo perfect, or so rediculous that they come across as ungenuine that sort of ruins the movie/makes things annoying :P hahaha

      Yes! It definitely affects people/relationships. Guys think that girls want a bad boy, so they act like jerks. Then girls complain about how all guys are jerks, not knowing that they're encouraging it in falling for the whole "bad boy" scenario in movies. It's kind of a cycle. :P hahaha

      Ah, yeah, I forgot about that verse. XD

      Delete
  4. Love this post - so true (that word choice was unintentional :P). I have to say, this is a really neat blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! So glad you like it. XD

      Delete
  5. "His shiner a monument to his sensitivity" You are awesome. :D lol

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the feedback!